Dr. Andrew Wong, MD | Primary Care, Functional Medicine, Medical Acupuncture
Early in my medical career, as both an inpatient attending and outpatient primary care doctor, I witnessed the best and worst of Western medicine: the triumph of acute life-saving interventions coupled with frustratingly ineffective approaches to complex chronic conditions. So often a one-size-fits-all prescription didn’t work. Patients weren’t receiving what they really need: time, a deeper definition of the root-causes of their illnesses, and the knowledge, tools, and support to improve their health.
I searched for wiser and more powerful approaches to healing. I received extensive advanced training and certifications in holistic, integrative and functional medicine; acupuncture; and meditation. I discovered the potential for medicine to provide true health and true healing for patients, and along the way learned to take care of myself and my young family. Now I personally walk the walk, and teach and collaborate with my patients in an authentically healing process. In founding and directing the Capital Center for Functional Medicine, I am so pleased to be able to offer this experience to you -- and to invite you to develop a relationship with us, and have fun along the way!
Education and Certification
- Tufts University School of Medicine, MD, 2004
- Internship/Residency: Internal Medicine, Georgetown University Hospital, 2007
- Board Certification: American Board of Internal Medicine, 2007
- American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine, 2009
- Advanced training: Medical Acupuncture, UCLA/Helms Medical Institute, 2011
- Fellowship: Integrative Medicine, University of Arizona, 2014
- Kalish Method Functional Medicine Training Program, 2014
- Institute for Functional Medicine Certification Program, 2011-2016
- Insight Meditation Community of Washington Mentorship, 2011-
- Recognition: Fellow of American College of Physicians, 2014
- Hospital privileges: Suburban Hospital, Bethesda
- Founder, the Capital Center for Functional Medicine
- Founding member, Capital Integrative Health with Elizabeth Baer, LAc.
- Director of Integrative Medicine, Casey Health Institute, 2012-2014
- Integrative Primary Care, Johns Hopkins N. Bethesda, 2010-2012
- Hospitalist, Suburban Hospital, Bethesda, 2007-2010
- Volunteer physician, Mobile Med, Montgomery County
- Memberships: American College of Physicians, Montgomery County Medical Society, Institute for Functional Medicine
- Fun: Spending time with family and friends, running, nature, meditation, yoga, qigong, cooking and eating real food